The strength of the firm’s success comes from the unique combination of our differences in substantive knowledge, perspective, professional, and civic backgrounds. We approach our work collaboratively, allowing us to formulate strategies that capitalize on this diversity. To this end, we are committed to fostering a positive and creative environment that attracts talented individuals with varied experiences.
At Van Ness Feldman, diversity and inclusion encompass a wide range of characteristics and life experiences, including gender, age, race, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, physical ability, military and government experience, education, and family relationships. The firm is dedicated to maintaining a work environment where the unique attributes, perspectives, backgrounds, skills, and abilities of each individual thrive and contribute to our collective success and the success of our clients.
Among our ongoing efforts, we strive to recruit and retain the highest caliber attorneys, public policy professionals, and staff that represent a broad array of backgrounds. The firm’s diversity efforts are led by a committee composed of diverse professionals from throughout the firm.
Specific diversity and inclusion efforts include:
- Participation in the Mid-Atlantic Black Law Students Association Job Fair (MABLSA); the Northwest Minority Job Fair (NWMJF); and Lavender Law Job Fair;
- Identifying and interviewing diverse law students via the firm’s recruiting programs and other sources;
- Training Alaska Natives, particularly women, in law or government relations advocacy;
- Operating a Legal Learning Program which helps prepare students from underrepresented populations who are entering law school get off to a strong start;
- Establishing a 1L Diversity Law Clerkship;
- Sponsoring the Women's Council on Energy and the Environment; and
- Internal educational events and celebrations honoring diversity and inclusion.
As a result of our efforts, the firm was named one of the best law firms for women in 2019 by Law360.
To learn more about our Diversity & Inclusion Committee Co-Chairs, click below:
Gwen Keyes Fleming, Partner
Mike Farber, Partner