With offices in Washington, DC and Seattle, Van Ness Feldman is a leading law firm providing legal counsel, thought leadership, and policy strategy to help clients navigate the complex intersection between business and government as they relate to the nation's energy, environment, and natural resources laws. The firm is home to more than 200 attorneys, public policy professionals, land use planners, management professionals, and staff. We offer exceptional career opportunities in an environment that is challenging, rewarding and, we believe, truly different from our competitors.
At Van Ness Feldman, people are recognized as the firm's greatest asset and the foundation of our success. This commitment to those who make up the Van Ness Feldman team is reflected in the core values that are put into practice every day: inclusiveness, mutual respect, teamwork, and collegiality.
Investing in our team, and respecting our unique culture, is central to our reputation as an industry leader. Encouraging individuals to undertake challenging work assignments, offering the support necessary to succeed, and providing thoughtful feedback fosters a work environment that is dynamic, creative, and unique. The firm recognizes that people are at their best when in an environment characterized by a healthy balance between work, family, personal, and community commitments.
The firm places a priority on the value of public service. Founded by four former Congressional and Executive branch counsel in 1977, the firm has consistently attracted former elected officials, attorneys from the Department of Justice, senior staff from influential Congressional committees, Executive and federal agencies, and the White House. The firm also has an active pro bono program that encourages professionals to provide continuing service to the community. Please visit our Pro Bono page to learn more about these important efforts.
The firm values diverse viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. We are committed to attracting, mentoring, and retaining the best talent and fostering a culture in which all employees feel valued and are empowered to grow professionally. Please visit our Diversity page to learn more about these efforts.
We are pleased that you are interested in a career at Van Ness Feldman. Please see below for more information about joining our team.
Notice to Prospective Employees: Van Ness Feldman participates in the e-verify program. For additional information please click here. For information in Spanish, click here.
Human Resources Assistant
The firm is seeking a Human Resources Assistant to assist the Human Resources Department. The candidate will provide support to the Director of Human Resources and the Human Resources Manager. Appropriate candidate will have a Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management, preferably, a minimum of two years of human resources experience, proficiency in Microsoft Office and proficiency with HRIS (preferably ADP). Successful candidate will have excellent organization, oral/written communication, and interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of Firm employees and external entities. The applicant will also have the ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments simultaneously with attention to detail and deadlines.
Benefits include health, dental, 401(k), and profit sharing plan. EOE. Please provide your resume and salary requirements by clicking here
Junior Accounting Specialist/Accounting Clerk
The Junior Accounting Specialist/Accounting Clerk will provide accounting support to major financial accounting areas, including the accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger accounting, and account reconciliation.
- Provides timely and accurate payment processing by processing accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Responsible for accounts payable processing including personnel reimbursements, AmEx credit card reconciliations, and cash advance reconciliations
- Maintains, distributes, and reconciles petty cash
- Develops and maintains regular reports via the company’s accounting system
- Entry of 1099 statuses
- Application of Use Tax
- Obtains and enters W-9s into accounting system
- Quick checks
- Provides backup to billing department
- Reconciles of individual firm credit cards
- Prepares, cuts, and obtains signatures for checks
- Bank Runs
- Applies credits to accounts receivable
- Reconciles personal accounts
- Additional responsibilities as required and upon competency of original tasks
- B.S. Accounting/Finance is strongly preferred
- 2-3 years of experience in accounting
- Knowledge of accounting rules, regulations, policies and procedures Proven, solid Excel and Word skills
- Knowledge or Aderant, Elite, or other law firm accounting systems is greatly desirable
- Ability to write professional emails
- Experience in a Law Firm or professional services setting is desirable
- Attention to detail, thoroughness, well organized, honest, excellent communication skills, personable, sense of humor, ability to maintain confidences, and good data entry and general math skills
Benefits include health, dental, 401(k), and profit sharing plan. EOE. Please provide your resume and salary requirements by clicking here.
Accounts Payable/General Office Clerk Position Downtown Seattle
With offices in Washington D.C. and Seattle, Van Ness Feldman is a leading law firm focusing on energy, environmental, and natural resource law. Van Ness Feldman seeks an excellent Accounts Payable/General Office Clerk, who will work closely with and support the needs of the Seattle and DC accounting departments. The position will provide accounts payable support, as well as general office/clerical duties as assigned. The ideal candidate will be a highly adaptable, proactive individual who is familiar with AP and well-versed in all Microsoft Office and legal accounting programs.
Typical tasks include but are not limited to:
- Receives, verifies, seeks approvals, and inputs invoices into Aderant
- Charges expenses to GL accounts
- Verifies documentation prior to disbursing and reconciling petty cash
- Reports sales tax by calculating requirements on paid invoices
- Collects payments and sends to lockbox
- Maintains budget spreadsheets throughout the year
- Obtains signatures on checks cut in the Seattle office and scans/files signed checks
- Arranges travel advances, as needed
- Maintains Seattle office IOLTA account, including deposits and disbursements
- Maintains Seattle operating account with local bank
- Processes employee reimbursements, after seeking approvals
- Interfaces with vendors regarding invoices or other issues
- Maintains historical accounting records
- Updates law library publications
- Tracks CLEs for all attorneys and reports to the Bar when required
- Handles petty cash
- Provides backup reception for lunch hours and vacations
- Provides backup to Legal Assistants, as needed
Desired Experience and Skills:
- 2-3 years’ AP experience required
- Aderant, CMS, or other accounting system experience desired
- Prior law firm experience preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Thorough data entry and general math skills
- Well organized
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to work independently
- Honest and able to maintain confidences
- Sense of humor
Competitive benefits package, including vacation, health, dental, 401(k) and profit sharing plan. EOE. Please provide a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by clicking here. No phone inquiries, please.
Real Estate Partner
The Seattle office of Van Ness Feldman LLP is seeking a real estate partner to join its dynamic real estate team. For more than 35 years, our real estate group* has been involved in some of the region’s most significant real property transactions, including acquisition, development, finance, commercial leasing, management of large due diligence evaluations, structuring of multi-property acquisitions, regulatory analysis, compliance, and mitigation. A portable practice and a historical track record of strong client relationships is desirable. Confidential inquiries can be sent to Saira Rhodes at firstname.lastname@example.org
(*formerly Buck & Gordon and GordonDerr LLP)
Van Ness Feldman’s Summer Associate Program is an important source for attorney recruitment. The Summer Associate Program offers law students an opportunity to observe and participate in cutting-edge issues related to energy, natural resources, real estate law, and public policy.
The firm seeks accomplished, well-rounded, and motivated law students with a demonstrated interest in our core areas of practice. Van Ness Feldman’s summer associate program provides future attorneys with a realistic experience of the life and practice of the firm and is limited to a select number of candidates. The program involves summer associates in a variety of substantive assignments for different clients and offers an opportunity to work directly with attorneys and professionals throughout the firm. Each summer associate is assigned a mentor to provide guidance and ensure that the summer associate has an enjoyable and productive summer.
Any questions regarding our firm or our recruiting process can be directed to DiNoua Avery, Recruiting Coordinator.
Van Ness Feldman is committed to promoting diversity within our firm, our profession, and our larger community. At Van Ness Feldman, diversity encompasses a wide range of characteristics and life experiences, including gender, age, race, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, physical ability, military and government experience, education, and family relationships. The firm’s goal is to maintain a work environment where the unique attributes, perspectives, backgrounds, skills, and abilities of each individual thrive and contribute to our collective success. To that end, the firm has established a 1L Diversity Clerkship.
The Clerkship is open to highly motivated first‐year law students from diverse backgrounds who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership ability.
Requirements to Apply:
- Undergraduate and law school transcripts (if your law school grades are not yet available, please apply and forward when available)
- A brief personal statement addressing what diversity means to you and why you are interested in Van Ness Feldman
- Two professional references
- A letter of recommendation from a law school professor
- A legal writing sample that has not been edited by others
***Positions have been filled for Summer 2018.
Questions about our 1L program may be directed to DiNoua Avery, Recruiting & Diversity Coordinator, at (202) 298-3713 or email@example.com, Lisa Pavia, Director of Business & Professional Development, at (202) 298-1899 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or any member of the firm’s Diversity Committee.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY
Van Ness Feldman enthusiastically extends an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, military status, physical disability, or any similarly protected status. The firm has a policy of positive action to ensure the fulfillment of our commitment to a diverse and equitable workplace.