Related Information For J. Curtis Moffatt
Areas of Practice
- Climate Change, Clean Technology, & Renewable Energy
- Energy Project Development, Transactions, & Finance
- Energy Regulation & Compliance
- Government Relations & Public Policy
- J.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1975
- A.B., Duke University, 1973
Bar and Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- United States Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia Tenth and Eleventh Circuits.
J. Curtis Moffatt
Curt Moffatt has represented energy clients for nearly 30 years before state and federal regulatory commissions, courts, and legislative bodies. He combines a rich political background with strategic thinking and a thorough understanding of the law to counsel clients on issues including project development, climate change, and corporate restructuring.
Mr. Moffatt’s current clients include several publicly traded, integrated energy Fortune 500 companies. Working directly with senior management of these companies, he provides not only counsel in rulemaking, individual rate and certificate, and confidential enforcement proceedings, but also strategic advice on a variety of issues faced by energy companies today. These include emerging issues such as climate change, as well as the development of significant infrastructure projects such as the Alaska natural gas pipeline and the Rockies Express pipeline.
Mr. Moffatt also works closely with these clients on corporate compliance issues. He has provided strategic counsel on formation and regulation of master limited partnerships, as well as on other issues related to corporate restructuring. In addition, he has served as special regulatory counsel in financial transactions that include public and private placements involving cogeneration and natural gas and petroleum products pipeline projects.
Mr. Moffatt is a member of the Board of Directors of Leaf Clean Energy Company. Formed in May 2007, the AIM-listed company will own, operate, and manage clean energy companies and projects, including carbon offset-generating projects, in North America.
Mr. Moffatt also served on the Board of the Charitable Foundation of the Energy Bar Association and continues to serve on the boards of several philanthropic organizations.
While earning his undergraduate degree from Duke University, Mr. Moffatt served as Student Assistant to the University President, Terry Sanford. While working with Mr. Sanford, who later became a United States Senator, Mr. Moffatt was given the opportunity to participate in several Presidential campaigns as well as in the development of the initial charter for the Democratic National Committee.
From 1983 to 1984, Mr. Moffatt served for Senator Fritz Hollings, the then-Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, as manager of the Senator's Presidential campaign. More recently, he served on several fundraising committees for national Democratic campaigns. Mr. Moffatt also has advised Presidential transition and inaugural committees.
Mr. Moffatt served in the Carter Administration as an Attorney-Staff Advisor to a commissioner of the Federal Power Commission, focusing on electric rate and gas certificate issues. Later in 1977, he became a Legal Assistant to Charles B. Curtis, Chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), with staff responsibility for natural gas matters.
- Legal Assistant to the Chairman, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 1977-1979
- Attorney/Legal Advisor, Federal Power Commission, 1977
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- Member, Board of Visitors, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University (2011-present)
- Energy Bar Association
Honors & Distinctions
- Chambers Global, "Leaders in Their Field" 2013
- Best Lawyers in America; Energy Law; 2010-2013
- Chambers Global; Energy: Oil & Gas; 2009-2013
- Chambers USA; Energy: Oil & Gas; 2008-2012
- Legal 500 USA; Energy: Transaction & Regulatory; 2011
- 34th Annual AGA Legal Forum, July 17, 2011
- The Aspen Institute: 2010 Clean Energy Economy Roundtable, July 24, 2010
- Curt Moffatt Wins 2013 Client Choice Awards in Energy and Natural Resources
- 26 Van Ness Feldman Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America for 2013
- Van Ness Feldman Profiled in The National Law Journal
- Van Ness Feldman Named 1st Tier Energy Regulatory Firm by The Legal 500, United States, 2012
- For 7th Consecutive Year, Van Ness Feldman Professionals Are Among "The Best Lawyers in America"
- Van Ness Feldman’s Energy and Environmental Practices Receive National Recognition by Legal 500, The Clients Guide to the Legal Profession