Related Information For Robert Szabo
Areas of Practice
- Climate Change, Clean Technology, & Renewable Energy
- Environment, Natural Resources, & Public Lands
- Government Relations & Public Policy
- J.D., Louisiana State University Law School, 1972 (Associate Editor, Louisiana Law Review)
- B.S., Louisiana State University, 1970
Bar and Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Robert G. Szabo
Bob Szabo counsels and advocates to the Congress and the Executive Branch agencies and departments on behalf of firm clients in the areas of federal energy, environmental, land and water, public policy, and transportation law.
Among recent or ongoing client issues are:
- Representing a large group of rail customers in an ongoing effort to achieve federal legislative and regulatory policy to restrain the monopoly power of the nation’s freight railroads.
- Representing the State of Louisiana in its successful effort to receive a share of federal Outer Continental Shelf oil and gas revenues from production offshore Louisiana.
- Representing the State of Louisiana in its successful effort to delay further federal OCS oil and gas leasing until a full environmental study had been completed regarding the damage to coastal Louisiana after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Representing a cellulosic ethanol producer in its successful effort to develop the nation’s first demonstration facility in Louisiana.
- Counseling a major international mining firm in its effort to position itself for potential climate change legislation.
- Representing a wetlands mitigation banker in an ongoing effort with respect to federal taxation issues.
- Representing a hydroelectric facility jointly owned by the states of Texas and Louisiana in its re-licensing effort at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Counseling a number of clients with respect to federal energy policy developments and provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Senior Legislative Assistant, Senator J. Bennett Johnston, (D-LA), U.S. Senate, 1975-1978
Law Clerk, Justice John A. Dixon, Jr., Supreme Court of Louisiana, 1972-1973
Honors & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in America; Government Relations Law; 2008-2013
- Operations and Management Workshop, January 23, 2013, Sponsored by Irrigation Leader Magazine
- National Water Resources Association's 2012 Western Water Seminar, August 1, 2012, "Future Threats to Water Supply Deliveries in the West"
- Prospects for Rail Regulatory Reform: A Shipper Perspective, September 12, 2007
- 26 Van Ness Feldman Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America for 2013
- Van Ness Feldman's Bob Szabo Quoted in Wall Street Journal on Freight Rail Regulations
- For 7th Consecutive Year, Van Ness Feldman Professionals Are Among "The Best Lawyers in America"
- For 5th Consecutive Year, Van Ness Feldman Professionals Are Among "The Best Lawyers in America"
- Van Ness Feldman's Robert Szabo Quoted in Energy Biz Insider Article
- 10 Van Ness Feldman Lawyers Recognized as Leaders in their Field by The Best Lawyers in America