For This Practice
Energy Project Development, Transactions, & FinancePrint PDF
Van Ness Feldman provides a comprehensive suite of services to owners of energy infrastructure assets, energy project developers, and investors, including those focused on emerging clean energy technologies. In addition, our Seattle office offers a full range of real estate transactional services and advice. Our services include:
- pre-acquisition advice on project and transaction structuring
- acquisition due diligence
- permitting and authorizations
- regulatory and policy risk assessment on investments affected by or relying on government programs
- development of comprehensive government relations strategies
- general business planning and strategy development.
Our clients include major traditional, renewable, and clean technology investors (including commercial and investment banks, as well as private investment funds), electric utilities, interstate natural gas pipelines, independent transmission companies, energy marketers, independent power generators, grid operators, alternative fuel companies, environmental technology companies, suppliers of energy storage, energy efficiency, and smart grid technologies, and energy end users.
Van Ness Feldman is unique in that it assists many of its clients in not only the development, financing or acquisition phases, but also during the operation phase of the investment after financing has been obtained and capital deployed. In the operations phase, we work closely with clients on asset protection by ensuring ongoing regulatory compliance, proactively advising on structural changes to markets, and developing and executing legislative and regulatory policy strategies that preserve or enhance our clients’ competitive positions.
Highlights of our work include:
- Counseling the successful applications and awardees of over $3 billion in federal grants, loan guarantees, and tax credits in such diverse areas as carbon capture & sequestration (geologic and industrial technology-based), smart grid deployment, and advanced energy technology manufacturing.
- Advising on the development, investment, and permitting of electricity generation projects, including conventional, wind, solar, biomass, hydropower (including offshore and underground pumped storage), geothermal, and other projects.
- Assisting several major interstate pipeline owners and investors in the active development of over $7 billion in natural gas infrastructure development in all major U.S. gas producing basins, including Alaska.
- Representing merchant transmission developers in numerous significant overland and undersea interstate electric transmission capacity buildouts.
- Securing regulatory approvals and conducting due diligence for development, ownership and investment in all types of energy assets – including specific projects and entire companies – as well as providing ongoing regulatory & compliance representations of owned assets.
- Negotiating emission reduction purchase agreements and assisting in the development of emissions reduction projects representing tens of millions of verified emissions reduction units.