Van Ness Feldman’s land use planners work closely with the firm's lawyers in a rare, in-house collaboration. The synergy of this relationship produces unusually creative, cost-effective solutions that emphasize results over process.
A full range of planning services includes strategy formulation and project management; feasibility studies and permitting alternatives; acquisition and management of entitlements; long-range planning, project expediting and implementation; regulatory due diligence and environmental compliance; code development advocacy; residential site plan and community design; and sustainable development and green building.
Clients benefit from the planning team's unique perspective and diverse experience gained from years of service to both public- and private-sector clients. A deep understanding of public policy issues and the changing regulatory landscape allows the team to present clear options and honest assessments of risks and benefits.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT, PERMITTING & ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW
Van Ness Feldman emphasizes early, comprehensive regulatory analysis, careful permitting strategy formulation and permit expediting to help clients achieve their land use planning goals. Up-front analysis affords innovative or alternative permitting strategies that minimize cost, time, and uncertainty. The firm's planners are leaders in collaborative project management and permitting.
- Project management for development applications and master plans.
- Development of feasibility studies for due diligence.
- Preparation of regulatory compliance narratives and related documents.
- Land use entitlements and permitting.
- Shoreline, wetlands and environmentally sensitive areas permitting.
- Identification, review and coordination of technical studies and environmental documents.
- SEPA and NEPA analysis and compliance.
- Preparation of SEPA checklists and mitigations for threshold determinations.
- Presentations at public meetings and hearings.
- Coordination of efforts with agency staff and concerned citizens.
PLANNING PROCESS, POLICY & CODE DEVELOPMENT
Van Ness Feldman assists public and private clients with a complete complement of advice and services pertaining to planning processes and policy and code development. A collaborative approach with all stakeholders, including governments, elected officials, builders and citizens, helps achieve clients' goals effectively and efficiently.
- Strategic advice for plan adoption and amendments
- Comprehensive and sub-area plans
- Growth Management Act compliance
- Zoning and development regulations
- SEPA and shoreline master programs
- Land use development review procedures
- Impact fee and mitigation fee programs
- Community engagement and facilitation
Download PDF Version
SITE PLANNING, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT & URBAN DESIGN
Van Ness Feldman offers a full range of community and urban design services to private and public clients to help create memorable, functional, walkable, people-friendly neighborhoods that respond to their site's natural and built context.
- Residential and commercial site design
- Design guidelines
- Design and permit review for public jurisdictions
- Pedestrian-oriented street design
- Neo-traditional urban design and smart growth techniques.